August is SMA Awareness Month!
The SMA community officially recognizes August as Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness Month, an effort that Cure SMA has been coordinating since 1996. August is a great time to spotlight the work our community does year-round to raise awareness of and funds for SMA.
In addition to our usual work – hosting and attending events, advocating at state and local legislatures, sharing information about SMA, using social media to raise awareness, and more – many families and chapters plan special events or efforts around SMA Awareness Month.
How to Participate
There are numerous ways to get involved this August. Ideas for Awareness Month activities include:
- Attend an Awareness Day with your local major or minor league baseball game
- Request a proclamation from your state or local government
- Host an awareness-themed fundraiser
- Organize a group candlelighting
- Contact local media personalities
- Flyer your neighborhood
For California Residents
On Friday, August 3rd, every Chipotle restaurant in California has partnered with Cure SMA for a 1-day fundraiser. Show this flyer or mention the partnership when you dine at Chipotle and 50% of your order proceeds will be donated to Cure SMA. Share the promotional flyer with your family, friends and business partners in California to help us get the word out!
Post photos to social media of your visit to Chipotle on August 3rd and use #ChipotleToCureSMA to be entered in our social media giveaway.
Advocacy Calls or Visits
Congress is in the process of determining the funding levels for two critical programs that help states develop new tests, meet scientific standards, and educate the public, along with healthcare providers, about newborn screening programs.
We need your help to make sure they know how important newborn screening is to ensure the best possible treatment for SMA. Tell your senators and representatives to support the highest level of funding possible for federal newborn screening programs.
Social Media Outreach
Get involved on social media throughout SMA Awareness Month:
- Change your profile picture to include the official Cure SMA Twibbon banner for SMA Awareness Month
- Share ‘SMA Fact Graphics’ to your personal page, or any page you manage
- Participate in the SMA Awareness Month Community album by posting photos to the comment section
- Tag Cure SMA in any Awareness event you and your family plan or attend with the hashtags #CureSMA #SMAawarenessmonth
Share Your Story!
Now is the perfect time to raise our collective voice and share stories and experiences of those in the SMA community.
Interested in sharing your story or plans for SMA Awareness Month? Email us at email@example.com to learn more.