Cure SMA is Thrilled to Launch a New Support Program for Teens and Adults with SMA
Along with funding SMA research and care, Cure SMA provides thousands of individuals and families with vital family support and resources that help people navigate life with SMA. In addition to our current support programs, Cure SMA is thrilled to launch a brand-new program specifically for teens and adults living with SMA.
This program is a support package which is filled with helpful items that have been recommended by adults living with SMA. Some of the items in the package include:
- Medical Fleece Ease Sheepskin - The natural health benefits of sheepskin can provide a much-improved quality of life to those who are in one position for long periods, helping to relieve bed sores and pressure points. The Fleece Ease draws perspiration away from the skin, then slowly releasing as evaporation, so the body feels cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Amazon Echo Plus - the Echo Plus has a built-in hub that seamlessly connects and controls compatible smart devices such as light bulbs, door locks, switches, and plugs. This is a great way to call for help when you can't access a phone. Also can be used to switch on the lights before getting out of bed or turn on the coffee maker without lifting a finger!
- Telescopic Back Scratcher - This back-scratcher telescopes closed to only 6-1/2" long for easy portability but it telescopes open to a full 20-1/4" long to reach items that are out of reach. Great tool for moving items close enough to grasp as well.
- Long Grabber Reacher Tool - 26” long grabber reacher made of lightweight aluminum with ergonomic handle trigger design. Magnetic tip helps pick up small objects and fitted with a post to assist with dressing.
- Gooseneck phone or tablet mount - Flexible phone and tablet stand allows you to watch your device hands free or mount it in an accessible location for you. The goose neck design is flexible to twist and reshape, while the device-holding deck rotates to provide 360-degree rotation enabling all possible angles you may need.
- Etekcity Remote Control Outlet Switch Kit – these remote control outlets work from as far as 100 feet and is great for switching on/off hard-to-reach appliances and devices. It operates household appliances from across rooms and is a great assistant for those with SMA.
- EZ-Shampoo Hair Washing Basin - this hair washing basin is perfect for traveling when you are not able to access an accessible bathroom. Refresh hair without having to leave the bed with this comfortable and convenient inflatable hair washing basin.
- Neck & Shoulder Heating Pad - This body comfort heating pad can be used in many ways. Apart from being the perfect neck and shoulders warmer, this heat wrap can help you relieve stiffness, knotted muscles, tightness and inflammation
- Sisu Positioner Pillow - The contouring characteristics make it the perfect support pillow. The Flo-Form® technology within this pillow allows you to mold it to the exact shape of your body, reducing discomfort caused by long periods of sitting or laying down.
Many of the items shown above have been found to make activities of daily living easier for those with SMA. They also help those living with SMA to gain independence with certain tasks they might not have been able to do on their own. Items such as the Amazon Echo Plus and the Etekcity Remote Control Outlet Switch Kit provide home modification options to help make a residence more accessible and user friendly.
We will be providing any teen and adult diagnosed with SMA, who lives in the United States, with this brand-new resource as soon as they request it. If you are a teen or adult with SMA and are interested in receiving a Cure SMA support package, please click here to request one at no charge.
Cure SMA would like to extend a big thank you to Biogen for funding these wonderful support packages for teens and adults living with SMA.