SMA Awareness Month
August is SMA Awareness Month.
While our community works year-round to raise awareness of and funds for SMA, August is a great time to spotlight those efforts. In addition to our usual work—hosting and attending events, telling our stories to neighbors and friends, sharing information about SMA, using social media to raise awareness, and more—many families and chapters plan special events or efforts around SMA Awareness Month.
Ideas for other special Awareness Month efforts could include:
- An Awareness Day with their local major or minor league baseball team
- A proclamation from state or local government
- An awareness-themed fundraiser
- A group candlelighting
- Outreach to local media or celebrities
- Participation in social media awareness efforts, such as our community album.
Interested in any of these? Email email@example.com, and tell us where you live and what you're planning. Whether your idea relates to fundraising or to general awareness, this email address is a great way to get in touch with the national office staff member who works with your area of the country.
And if you're not already connected with your local chapter, use our chapter page to locate their contact information. There may be families near you who are interested in joining forces for one or more of these ideas.
During this year's SMA Awareness Month, we’re offering a number of ways to help spread awareness for SMA on social media.
- Update your Facebook or Twitter profile picture to show your support for SMA Awareness Month. You can also share facts and stats about SMA, and tell your friends why SMA Awareness Month is important to you.
- Participate in our annual SMA Community Album
How to Participate
During the month of August, please send us photos of what SMA awareness means to you. It could be a photo of the person who inspires you to raise awareness. It could be a photo taken during an event or activity (like a candlelighting) for SMA Awareness Month. It could be a more abstract representation of awareness, or our community, or your family. Your imagination is the only limit.
To submit your photo, post directly to our Facebook wall, or post on your wall and tag us or use the #cureSMA hashtag (just be sure we aren't blocked from seeing it due to privacy settings), or email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and put "SMA community album" in the subject line. We'll be adding and sharing photos all August long!
At sunset on the second Saturday of August, the SMA community lights candles to remember those who have passed away from SMA, and to honor those who are living with SMA. This year's candlelighting date is August 12, 2017.
Don't forget to submit your candlelighting photos to our Facebook community album!
Many families and chapters ask their state/or and local government to make a proclamation for SMA Awareness Month. If your state or city issues one, send us a copy at email@example.com and we'll share it here!
We've put together a series of tools that will help you as you plan for awareness month.
- Awareness and advocacy kit, which includes key information about SMA and Cure SMA that can use when putting together a blog post, sponsor request letter, story pitch, or anything else for Awareness Month and beyond! It also includes graphics you can share, ideas for awareness and fundraising, and the latest information about our advocacy efforts.
- Medical professional awareness kit, to share with your primary care provider, neurologist, nurse, physical or occupational therapist—anyone who cares for you or your child and needs more info on SMA.
- Media kit, to use when drafting story pitches for local or national media. Have a media connection or want to make a pitch? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and ideas before making your pitch!
MLB Awareness Games
Be sure to check out our events calendar to find out more about events going on in your area, from August into the fall and 2018!