Along with funding SMA research and care, Cure SMA provides thousands of individuals with SMA and their families with vital support and resources that help them navigate life with SMA. Following a successful 2018 launch of, and sustained interest in, our current Teen & Adult Support Package, Cure SMA is thrilled to offer a supplemental package specifically for teens and adults with SMA.
This new Teen & Adult Independence Assistance Package—created based on feedback from those who received the first support package—is filled with additional helpful items that were not previously sent to teens and adults. Some of the new items include:
- Logitech Blue Snowball Microphone: Amplifies soft voices and offers crystal clear audio for communicating, creating, and recording, including for Skype, Messages, FaceTime, etc. Creates studio-quality recordings with Blue Microphone’s Snowball, a USB microphone with exceptional sound-capture capabilities. Also includes Plug and Play for PC and Mac. Snowball iCE requires no drivers.
- Wi-Fi Smart Plugs: Using the app on your smartphone, instantly controls devices connected to a smart plug wherever you have internet. It can be controlled with voice command through Alexa or Google Home Assistant.
- Travel UV Sanitizing Wand: Uses powerful Ultraviolet-C light to significantly reduce microscopic pathogens, reducing E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, and Klebsiella pneumoniae bacteria by up to 99.9%. Designed for use on soft and hard surfaces, it works on bedding, towels, chairs, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, phones, remote controls, and more.
- Universal Cup Holder: Allows user to always have a drink within reach, fitting most wheelchairs and different size cups.
- Telescopic Metal Straws: Reusable and portable straw option to take with you on-the-go. It is compatible with most glasses and sized like a normal straw.
- Jar Opener with Base Pad: Easily opens all size jars, from small condiment bottles to large tubs. The base pad reduces the force required to open a jar by keeping the jar secure on the countertop.
- Multi Kitchen Tools Set: Offers helpful kitchen gadgets, such as a 6-in-1 can opener, a 5-in-1 bottle opener, and a 4-in-1 jar opener. All devices offer multiple, easier ways to open a variety of sealed containers requiring less strength.
All items mentioned above have been recommended by adults with SMA and found to make activities of daily living easier. They also help those with SMA to gain independence with certain tasks they might not have been able to do on their own.
Cure SMA will provide any teen or adult diagnosed with SMA, who lives in the United States, with this new resource as soon as it is requested and we can confirm their eligibility. If you are interested in receiving a Teen & Adult Independence Assistance Package, please click here to request one at no charge.
Cure SMA wishes to thank our donors and supporters who make programs like this possible. Special thanks to Biogen for funding a generous grant to support this effort.
Have you filled out your questionnaire for the 2021 Cure SMA Community Update Survey? If not, click here and you will be directed to the 15-minute survey. This ensures we can meet the needs of the full SMA community. Plus, everyone who participates will be entered into a drawing for the chance to receive one of 20 gifts from Cure SMA. Check it out today!