Originally published on July 27, 2012.
August is SMA Awareness month and families and friends around the country are joining together to help promote this devastating disease so that we can one day see a world where SMA is treatable and curable.
So, how can you get involved? There are numerous ways to raise much needed awareness for spinal muscular atrophy and help fund the critical research and family support programs provided to the SMA Community by Cure SMA.
Below are a list of just a few of the many activities you could organize or support:
– Flyer your neighborhood
– Get a personal interest story through your local newspaper, radio show, or online media outlet
– Host a fundraiser, or participate in one near you (Click here for Events Calendar)
– Organize a candlelight vigil
– Reach out to your local legislation: Ask them to proclaim August as SMA Awareness Month
– Providing SMA information to your local hospital, OB-GYN and all medical professionals
– Attend or coordinate one of the major league Awareness Nights: Atlanta Braves (August 18, 2012), Philadelphia Phillies (August 24, 2012), New York Mets (August 26, 2012), Tampa Bay Rays (September 9, 2012)
– Post it on your Facebook page
Cure SMA has dedicated staff to support you in your awareness efforts. We have several promotional items along with the ability to develop a customized event website and a multitude of templates to help you get started. Contact us at [email protected] or call 800.886.1762, and don’t forget to send us your awareness activities so that we can share them on our website and social media pages!