Originally published on September 13, 2012.
Throughout the month of August, the SMA Community joined together to raise awareness of spinal muscular atrophy and hosted dozens of awareness events across the country!
The SMA Community officially recognizes August as Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness month, an effort that Cure SMA has been coordinating since 1996. Families worked together to help promote this devastating disease to inspire awareness in the general public in a variety of ways such as hosting a candlelight vigil, contacting their local legislature, holding a fundraiser or providing information to local medical professionals.
The majority of people, including doctors, nurses and community members, do not know about SMA until it directly affects them. This is what continually fuels our fight to rally for more support during
awareness month for increased resources and better care for SMA affected individuals.
Thank you to all of the amazing families within the SMA Community for doing their part to raise awareness about the disease, not only in August, but year round!
Did you host an awareness event this August that you would like featured on our 2012 Awareness page? Send an email to [email protected] with details and pictures from your event!
Below is a list of some of the awareness activities that took place this August:
– SMA Awareness Day with the Tampa Bay Rays
– NY Mets SMA Awareness Day
– Philadelphia Phillies Game vs. Washington Nationals
– “Rhonda Adkins” Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness Day
– SMA Day with the Atlanta Braves
– Radio Announcements in Memory of Jocelyn Paige Lee
– Summer on Trade Candle Lighting
– 4th Annual Seattle Mariners Day
– Arizona Chapter Night at the Ballpark
– August 2012 Declared SMA Awareness Month in Four Cities in Florida
– August 2012 Declared SMA Awareness Month in the State of Maryland
– August 2012 Declared SMA Awareness Month in the State of Tennessee
– August 2012 Declared SMA Awareness Month in the State of Indiana
– August 2012 Declared SMA Awareness Month in the State of Michigan
– August 2012 Declared SMA Awareness Month in the State of Pennsylvania