Originally published on September 4, 2013.
Throughout the month of August, the SMA Community joined together to raise awareness of SMA and hosted dozens of awareness events across the country!
The SMA Community officially recognizes August as Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness month, an effort that Cure SMA has been coordinating since 1996. Families worked together to help promote this devastating disease to inspire awareness in the general public in a variety of ways such as hosting a candlelight vigil, contacting their local legislature, holding a fundraiser or providing information to local medical professionals.
The majority of people, including doctors, nurses and community members, do not know about SMA until it directly affects them. This is what continually fuels our fight to rally for more support during
awareness month for increased resources and better care for SMA affected individuals.
Thank you to all of the amazing families within the SMA Community for doing their part to raise awareness about the disease, not only in August, but year round!
Did you host an awareness event this August that you would like featured on our 2013 Awareness page? Send an email to [email protected] with details and pictures from your event!
Below is a list of some of the awareness activities that took place this August:
– NY Yankees SMA Awareness Day
– SMA Awareness Day with the Tampa Bay Rays
– SMA Day with the Atlanta Braves
– NY Mets SMA Awareness Day
– SMA Night with the Philadelphia Phillies
– “Rhonda Adkins” Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness Day
– Duke Specialty Infusion Center Spreads SMA Awareness
– Peppers Family Raises Awareness in Cleveland
– Santos Family Raising Awareness in Florida
– Chan Family and Dr. Smith Raise SMA Awareness in North Carolina
– Rhode Island Governor Orders House Dome Illuminated in Support of SMA Awareness Month
– August 2013 Declared SMA Awareness Month in the State of Michigan
– August 2013 Declared SMA Awareness Month in the State of Mississippi
– August 2013 Declared SMA Awareness Month in the State of New York
– August 2013 Declared SMA Awareness Month in the City of Menifee