We need your help in contacting your Senators to tell them that legislation promoting innovation and research is extremely important to you and that the discovery of the next generation of cures and treatments for disease needs to start now!
We are concerned about Congress’ lack of progress on the 21st Century Cures legislation (H.R. 6). As you know, the bill passed the House in July. It was anticipated that the Senate would consider its own version of the legislation this Fall. Unfortunately, the Senate has neither finished drafting their version of the bill, the “Innovations for Healthier Americans Act,” nor voted on H.R. 6.
21st Century Cures has key provisions that could positively affect SMA patients and their families, including requirements for patient input into risk/benefit analysis, changes to Food and Drug Administration evaluation processes, and $10 billion in mandatory additional funding for the National Institutes of Health.
To ensure that this legislation moves forward, call the Senators in your state and urge them to expedite the release and consideration of the Innovations for Healthier Americans Act.
- Visit http://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/ and find your state and the contact information for your Senator.
- Tell the office your name, where you live, and express concern about the failure of the Senate to act on 21st Century Cures and the Innovation for Healthier Americans Act. We’ve provided some talking points below to help.
- You can also reach out to your Senator through Twitter! Either ask the office for the Senator’s Twitter handle or find it using Twitter’s search function.
What To Say When You Call Your Representative
- My name is _____________ and I live in town/city/state.
- I am calling to ask that Senator LAST NAME support bringing 21st Century Cures or the Innovation for Healthier Americans Act to the Senate Floor for a vote as soon as possible.
- I care about this bill because I/my child/family member [NAME] has spinal muscular atrophy, or SMA. This is a disease that robs people of physical strength by affecting the motor nerve cells in the spinal cord, taking away the ability to walk, eat, or breathe. It is the number one genetic cause of death for infants.
- This legislation has the potential to expedite the drug-approval process for SMA therapies.
- As a constituent, it is very important to me that the Senate move this bill legislation forward.
Tweet Your Support for 21st Century Cures/Innovation
- @Senator There is no time to waste. The Senate must consider 21st Century Cures today to encourage research & development of new treatments & cures! @CureSMA
- I/my son/daughter has SMA & 21st Century Cures could help find new treatments or a cure. Please support this important bill! @Senator