The 2017 Annual SMA Conference, now in its 29th year, is set to kick off on June 29 and continue into a weekend full of programs and events that bring families, researchers and healthcare professionals together.
This year’s conference has already surpassed the records of previous years. We’re expecting over 2,000 attendees, including almost 450 researchers from nearly 100 institutions and pharmaceutical companies. There will be a total of 52 family workshops and 130 formal research presentations.
This event is generously supported by 19 sponsors and 23 exhibitors. Our special thanks to Biogen as the Presenting Sponsor of the 2017 Annual SMA Conference. Through these incredible sponsors, we are able to provide assistance travel or registration to 710 attendees.
Advancing a Path for Current & Future Therapies and Continued Advocacy
We’ve seen significant advances in SMA research come to fruition with the approval of Spinraza. While an approved therapy offers tremendous benefit to those with SMA, there is also a need for continued research, advocacy, and investment in SMA care.
We know that collaboration between academics, industry, government and families is crucial to sustaining our current momentum. The Annual SMA Conference provides a great forum for this collaboration, and gives our community the opportunity to discuss important topics and next steps in several critical areas:
- Spinraza administration and access
- Insurance coverage and other new topics related to approved therapies
- Newborn screening and other opportunities for advocacy
- Continued research funding to treat all ages, stages and types of SMA
- Improving and implementing the standard of care for SMA
How to Get Involved
We’ve got lots planned, including:
- A Facebook live-stream of the Family Friendly Poster Session on Friday evening at 7:00pm
- Regular updates from the conference posted in our news section
- Live-tweeting at 2 Special Sessions
- Sharing photos on all social media channels
If you’re posting from or about our conference, be sure to use the hashtags #cureSMA and #SMAConference. We look forward to seeing you in Orlando!