We are excited to welcome 20 new members to our Medical Advisory Council (MAC). These clinicians represent eleven specialties, including specialties that were not previously represented on the MAC.
Our new members are:
- Alison Ballard, RN, MSN, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner and Neuromuscular Care Coordinator at Children’s Hospital Colorado in Denver, CO
- William Bell, BS Pharm, MBA, MSCC, RPh, Director of Clinical Client Services in Chalfont, PA
- John Brandsema, MD, specializes in Pediatric Neuromuscular Neurology at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, associated with the Perelman School of Medicine at The University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA
- Cindy Budek, MS, APRN, CPNP-PC/AC, Pediatric Neuromuscular Advanced Practice Nurse at Lurie Children’s Hospital in Chicago, IL
- Diana Castro, MD, specializes in Pediatric Neuromuscular Neurology at Children’s Health, associated with the University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas, TX
- Jin Yun (Helen) Chen, MS, CGC, Genetic Counselor at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, MA
- Shelley Coskery, RN, MSN, specializes in Pediatric Pulmonology at Children’s of Alabama in Birmingham, AL
- Tina Duong, MPT, PhDc, Physical Therapist at Stanford University in Stanford, CA
- Bakri ElSheikh, MBBS, FRCP, specializes in Neurology, Neuromuscular Medicine, and Clinical Neurophysiology at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, OH
- Melissa Gibbons, MS, CGC, Genetic Counselor at Children’s Hospital Colorado, associated with the University of Colorado in Denver, CO
- Nancy Glass, MD, MBA, specializes in Critical care, Anesthesiology, Pain, Hospice and Palliative Medicine at Texas Children’s Hospital and Houston Hospice, associated with Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX
- Jennifer Hubbell, OTR/L, Occupational Therapist at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center Home Health Care in Cincinnati, OH
- Chamindra Konersman, MD, Neurologist at Rady Children’s Hospital, associated with the University of California San Diego in San Diego, CA
- Khalida Liaquat, MS, LCGC, Genetic Counselor at Athena Diagnostics in Marlborough, MA
- Leslie Nelson, PT, PhDc, OCS, Pediatric Neuromuscular Physical Therapist at Children’s Health, associated with the University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas, TX
- Silvana Ribaudo, MD, Obstetrician and Gynecologist at Columbia University in New York City, NY
- Peter Schochet, MD, Pediatric Pulmonologist at Children’s Health, associated with the University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas, TX
- Edward Smith, MD, Pediatric Neurologist at Duke University in Durham, NC
- Jane Taylor, MD, MsCR, Pediatric Pulmonologist at the Children’s Mercy Kansas City, associated with the University of Missouri – Kansas City in Kansas City, MO
- Laura Watne, MS, RD, CSP, Nutritionist at Children’s Hospital Colorado, associated with the University of Colorado in Denver, CO
Our MAC is chaired by Mary Schroth, MD a leading pulmonologist, and Chief Medical Officer at Cure SMA, and includes clinical experts in multiple disciplines and specialties including neurology, pulmonology, physical therapy, genetic counseling, physical medical and rehabilitation, orthopedics, palliative care, critical care, and nutrition.
The MAC is one of the most highly respected bodies of SMA medical and clinical experts in the US, setting the agenda for proactive, creative, and collaborative leadership on issues that improve the quality of medical care for those affected by SMA. The MAC focuses on educating families, healthcare providers, and the public about SMA, building on the foundation of SMA standards of care, and translating positive research results into clinical practice.