SMA Awareness Month occurs in August! The SMA community officially recognizes August as Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness Month and Cure SMA has been coordinating activities since 1996. August is a great time to spotlight the work our community does year-round to raise awareness of and funds for SMA.
In addition to our usual work – hosting and attending events, sharing information about SMA, using social media to raise awareness, and more – many families and chapters plan special events and efforts around SMA Awareness Month.
How to Participate
There are multiple ways to get involved this August. Ideas for SMA Awareness Month activities include:
- Attend an Awareness Day with your local major or minor league baseball game
- Request a proclamation from your state or local government
- Host an awareness-themed fundraiser
- Organize a group candlelighting
Social Media Outreach
Get involved on social media throughout the month:
- Change your profile picture to include the official Cure SMA Twibbon banner for SMA Awareness Month
- Share our Cure SMA Fact Graphics to your personal page, or pages you manage
- Participate in the SMA Awareness Month Community album by posting photos to the comment section or email the photos to [email protected]
- Tag Cure SMA in any Awareness event you and your family plan or attend with the hashtags #CureSMA #SMAAwarenessMonth
Share Your Story!
Now is the perfect time to raise our collective voice and share stories and experiences of those in the SMA community. Read and share Community Spotlights featuring people in the SMA community.
Interested in sharing your story or plans for SMA Awareness Month? Email us at [email protected] to learn more.
MLB Awareness Games
Be sure to check out our events calendar to find out more about events in your area.