For the past two years, Cure SMA’s Summit of Strength program has brought together thousands of SMA community members for the opportunity to network and learn about the latest advances in treatment, care, advocacy, and support. Considering event cancellations across the country due to the ongoing pandemic, Cure SMA is now offer these resources through its Summit of Strength Webinar Series.
This series of virtual webinars will run through the summer, bringing to your home experts who will speak on a variety of educational topics tailored to help individuals and families with SMA during this life in quarantine. These presentations will include family support and patient care topics like those that may have been shared at our in-person summits. Also, during each webinar, attendees will hear a brief presentation from one our Summit of Strength presenting sponsors: AveXis, Biogen, or Genentech. Webinars include the following:
- May 13th – Supporting the Emotional Health of SMA-Affected Families During Uncertain Times
- Al Freedman, Ph.D., SMA Parent and Child & Family Psychologist at Freedman Counseling Associates
- Representative from AveXis
- May 20th – Physical Therapy at Home
- Tina Duong, MPT, PHDc, Physical Therapist and Clinical Research Manager with the Division of Neuromuscular Medicine at Stanford University
- Representative from Biogen
- May 27th – SMA Nutrition: Now More Than Ever
- Stacey Tarrant, RD, LDN, Clinical Nutrition Specialist II at Boston Children’s Hospital
- Representative from Genentech
Keep an eye on Cure SMA’s site for added webinar topics. We hope you will register for these webinars and submit questions in advance to help drive the conversation.
Despite the new reality of postponed events, remote working, and social distancing, Cure SMA’s work for the SMA community continues as we remain committed to providing families the support they need for today. While we look forward to returning to in-person Summits of Strength when we are able, you can still engage with Cure SMA Chapter Leaders and connect with your local SMA community.
If you have any questions about the Summit of Strength Virtual Webinar Series, please contact [email protected].
Thank you to the National Presenting Sponsors for the 2020 Summit of Strength Programs: AveXis, Biogen, and Genentech. We would also like to recognize Platinum Sponsor, Scholar Rock, for its support.